¿Qué es el amor?
1. FALL IN LOVE WITH SOMEBODY
start feeling love towards somebody
- I think I’m falling in love with my best friend. What should I do?
2. LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT
falling in love with somebody the first time you see them
- My wife and I met at a party. It was love at first sight.
3. BE AN ITEM
two people are an item when they are having a romantic relationship
- I didn’t know Chris and Sue were an item. They didn’t even look at each other at dinner.
4. MATCH MADE IN HEAVEN
a relationship in which the two people are great together, because they complement each other so well
- Do you think Matt and Amanda will get married?
- I hope they will. They’re a match made in heaven.
5. BE HEAD OVER HEELS (IN LOVE)
be in love with somebody very much
- Look at them. They’re head over heels in love with each other.
6. BE LOVEY-DOVEY
expressing your love in public by constantly kissing and hugging
- I don’t want to go out with Jenny and David. They’re so lovey-dovey, I just can’t stand it.
7. HAVE THE HOTS FOR SOMEBODY
finding somebody extremely attractive
- Nadine has the hots for the new apprentice. I wouldn’t be surprised if she asked him out.
8. PUPPY LOVE
short-term adolescent love
- My son is only twelve, but he’s already in love. Isn’t it a bit too early?
- Don’t worry, it’s only puppy love. It won’t last.
9. DOUBLE DATE
two couples going out together on a date
- I’m so glad you and Tom’s brother are an item. From now on we can go on double-dates.
10. ON THE ROCKS
if there are problems in a relationship, we may say it’s on the rocks
- I wonder if they will call off the wedding. Their relationship seems to be on the rocks.
11. LOVE RAT
somebody who cheats on his/her partner
- Don’t even think about asking Jane out. How could you look your wife in the eye? Don’t be a love rat.
12. POP THE QUESTION
ask somebody to marry you
- So, did Ben pop the question last night?
- No, he didn’t. He just took me out for dinner and that’s all.
13. TIE THE KNOT
- When are you and Jenny going to tie the knot?
- This year, but we haven’t set a date yet.
14. BLIND DATE
when two people who have never seen each other before go on a date
- My sister keeps organising blind dates for me. She’d just love to fix me up with someone.
15. FIX SOMEBODY UP (WITH SOMEBODY)
find a romantic partner for somebody
- I’m not going to the party unless you promise me you won’t try to fix me up withanother friend of yours.
16. THOSE THREE LITTLE WORDS
I love you (yes, that’s exactly three words)
- I think he loves me, but he hasn’t said those three little words yet.
17. WALK OUT ON SOMEBODY
leave your partner and end the relationship
- You’re the second men to walk out on me. I won’t let it happen ever again.
18. LEAVE SOMEBODY AT THE ALTAR
decide not to marry somebody just before the wedding
- I’ve just met my ex-boyfriend. I think I still have feelings for him.
- But you’re about to get married to John. Are you going to leave him at the altar?
19. BREAK UP/ SPLIT UP (WITH SOMEBODY)
end the relationship
- Have you heard? Marian and Joseph have split up. I wonder what went wrong. They were so good together.
20. KISS AND MAKE UP
make peace after and argument
- Our relationship is like a roller-coaster ride. We fight nearly every day, but then we always kiss and make up.
21. Madly in love
to be deeply or extremely in love with somebody
- They are madly in love, they love and trust each other and will always be loyal to one another.
22. Make love
a romantic way to refer to sexual intercourse
- They made love for the first time.
23. No love lost between
there is a mutual animosity between two people
- There is no love lost between the two colleagues, they have never liked each other.
24. For love nor money
this idiom means that a person won’t do something no matter what is offered to them
- I won’t sell this house, it is my family home. It has been in the family for decades! I won’t sell it for love nor money, there is nothing that you can say or do that will change my mind.
25. Blinded by love
when a person is so madly in love with somebody that they can’t see the persons faults or negative characteristics
- She is so blinded by love that she can’t see him for who he truly is. He is not a good person, he is rude and disrespectful to everyone around him, including her.